New Flames of War content posted

By tgn_admin
In WWII
Dec 2nd, 2010
0 Comments
457 Views

The Flames of War website has been updated with several new articles and product spotlights.

Articles
Harckocsizó Század: Building a Hungarian Tank Company
We recently asked some of our playtesters to give us their thoughts on building armies from Stalin’s Europe. This week Andrew Duncan examines the Harckocsizó Század, the Hungarian Tank Company.

Shturmovye Groups and City Fighting
It wasn’t until the battle of Stalingrad at the end of 1942 that serious street fighting and its unique challengers were confronted by the Soviets. Street battles presented the commanders on the ground with a number of problems to overcome.

Polish Infantry Strategy and Tactics
With the release of the Polish Batalion Piechoty boxed set alongside the new Blitzkrieg supplement, players have the opportunity to field a Polish infantry army in Flames Of War. Along with the new models, there are now a number of new rules and special abilities for the various Polish forces which are designed to capture the flavour of fighting in Poland during 1939.

New Additions To The Special Order Catalogue
With the release of new Normandy compilations, we’ve added Lt. Col. Pine-Coffin, Stan Hollis, the British Snipers and the Seated Americans to the Special Order Catalogue in order for to bulk up your Allied forces in Normandy.

Spotlights
Guards Tank Killer Company (SBX14)
The SU-100 self-propelled gun was the successor to the SU-85. It was based on a similar, but not identical, chassis mounting a 100mm D-10S gun. This excellent gun could penetrate 162mm of armour at 500 meters and 150mm at 1000 meters range.

Hotchkiss H-35 or H39 (FR020)
Most Battalions de Chars de Combat (BCC) were equipped with Renault R-35 tanks, although two had Hotchkiss H-35 tanks. Likewise, the Divisions Cuirassée (DC) had Hotchkiss H-39 tanks. The French initially equipped their light tanks with the old 37mm SA-18 gun used in the First World War.

Charles de Gaulle (FR880)
When the German tanks crossed the Polish frontier, Colonel Charles de Gaulle, commander of the tanks of the Fifth Army, saw the German success in this campaign as vindicating the theories outlined in his book, The Army of the Future, published five years earlier. The forceful expression of his opinions on the failings of the French hierarchy and the need for more French armoured divisions antagonised the upper echelons of the French military.

Battalion HQ (PL701)
The Polish Army began the war on 1 September 1939 with thirty regular infantry divisions, just over half the number they faced in the German Army. Despite being outnumbered and largely lacking tank support, the Polish Army fought hard throughout the campaign.

Piechoty Platoon (PBX02)
The Polish rifle company is an unusually strong formation with 232 officers and men, nearly 50% larger than its German counterpart. Each of its three rifle platoons has three 19-man sections. With just a single wz. 28 automatic rifle (a licensed copy of the American Browning Automatic Rifle) in each 19?man squad, the main firepower of a platoon comes from its riflemen. These are armed with the Mauser Karabin wz. 98a, the same weapon as their German counterparts.

Machine-gun Platoon (PL704)
At the end of the Polish-Soviet war, the Polish army had in its possession numerous models of machine-guns in all makes and calibres. To avoid any logistical nightmares in any future conflicts, the Polish army decide to standardise the machine-gun it used and begun searching for potential contenders.

37mm wz. 36 gun (PL510)
Each Dywizja Piechoty, or infantry division, has 27 anti-tank guns with a company of nine guns in each regiment. The anti-tank companies are equipped with the excellent little Bofors 37mm wz. 36 anti-tank gun. The first 300 of these highly-capable guns were imported from Sweden, while the remaining 900 on hand were built under licence in Poland.