Vintage Space, as the name implies, looks to bring sci-fi gaming back to its retro roots, with heroic crews, aliens that are humans just in bad makeup, and splitting infinitives that have never been split before. The game combines an "of the past" feel with "of the now" rules to create an experience that's easy to learn. The game is up on Kickstarter now.
From the campaign:
Vintage Space brings Disco-Era optimistic sci-fi back to the tabletop. This game combines the sensibilities of both the narrative and OSR RPG scenes into a game that's easy to learn, simple to run and fun to play.
This game craws inspiration from classic shows and movies from the late 60's to the early 80's. When you play Vintage Space you and your friends escape to a future where mankind's potential is unbound. There's danger along the way, but if you're heroic enough to face it, you can use your courage, intellect, and capability as a Star Corps officer to save the day.
What makes the game rules in Vintage Space right for your group? Check it out:
- Fast Character Creation: Choose your species, roll your stats, select a role and rank and fill in a few skill specialties.
- Starship Creation: The rules support making your own ship from scratch, but about as quickly as it takes to roll up a human character. Sit the group down, roll up a crew and ship and get flying in 15 minutes
- Easily Memorable Rules: If you can remember to roll 1d20, hoping for a result that's lower than your attributes, then you can play Vintage Space.
- Customizable Story: While the look and feel of the setting might seem familiar, Vintage Space intentionally has a very broadly defined backstory. This allows you to add or remove elements to the setting at will.
- GM Tools: As fast as it is to make PCs and hero ships, it's just as easy or even simpler to make NPCs up on the fly.
The campaign is up and running now and is set to go for another 29 days.