Down there, deep, underneath, below the world, there's all manner of twisting passages in the vast undercity. But as much as there's your (almost) certain doom, there's also the thing you've been looking for your entire life. Everything you've ever wanted is there, along with everything that could ever kill you. Will you dare its dark depths? Well, you will in Heart: The City Beneath, a new RPG that shares a world with Spire. The new stand-alone RPG is up on Kickstarter now.
From the campaign:
Heart: The City Beneath is a game about delving into a nightmare undercity that will give you everything you’ve ever dreamed of - or kill you in the process. It is a dungeon-crawling, story-forward tabletop RPG from the designers of Spire that focuses on what characters have to lose in pursuit of their dreams in the chaotic darkness beneath the world.
Heart is a tabletop roleplaying game, and will be released as a 224+ page hardback book and a bookmarked PDF. You won’t need a copy of Spire to play Heart - it’s a standalone game. Within, there are:
- Rules for creating characters with curious abilities and frantic obsessions
- Full details of the strange subterranean world of the Heart
- Adversaries both horrific and pitiable to hunt or be hunted by
- Methods for mapping the unmappable, and creating your own personal Heart to explore
- Evocative and fascinating consequences for failure and misfortune that push the story onward
- Pages and pages of beautiful, full-colour art from Felix Miall
Sharing a setting with Spire, Heart expands the unreal world beneath it. It uses an expanded and updated version of the Resistance system, the mechanics that power Spire, to help you tell stories of desperation, hubris and adventure in the City Beneath.
In addition, we are hoping to release a map board and stickers so you can create your own map of the City Beneath across your campaigns, as well as two special editions of the book. You can read more about these below.
The game's about 1/5 of the way to its goal with 29 days left to go.