Most fantasy RPGs have you running around as heroes looking to do good deeds in the world. Save the prisoners, overthrow the evil tyrant, stop the necromancer... that kind of thing. In Forbidden Lands, it's much less heroic wargaming as it is trying to scratch out a living in a world that obviously does not want you to survive. The new fantasy RPG will be coming to Kickstarter this December.
From the website:
Round the beggar from Varassa all sat in a ring,
and by the campfire they sat and heard his song.
About walkers and wolfkin and every terrible thing,
and of his fear he sang to them all night long:
“There is something beyond the mountains, beyond the howls beyond the mist,
there is something behind the veils, behind hearts cold as stone.
Hearken, something walks and whispers, walks and lures you in and whimpers:
Come to us, for this earth shall ever be ours and ours alone!”
Forbidden Lands is a new take on classic fantasy roleplaying. In this sandbox survival roleplaying game, you’re not heroes sent on missions dictated by others – instead, you are raiders and rogues bent on making your own mark on a cursed world. You will discover lost tombs, fight terrible monsters, wander the wild lands, and if you live long enough, build your own stronghold to defend.
Contents of the boxed set:
- Hardcover Player’s Manual with faux leather covers, including rules for fast character
generation, visceral combat, lethal magic, dangerous journeys and for building your own stronghold – easily be ported to other game worlds.
- Hardcover Gamemaster’s Guide with faux leather covers, including a rich and detailed
description of the Forbidden Lands setting, a large illustrated Bestiary, extensive random encounters, and three complete adventure sites.
- The Legends & Adventurers booklet, that lets you flesh out your characters and give them unique backgrounds.
- A large full-color map, that gives you the freedom to explore the Forbidden Lands any way you want, hex by hex.
- A sheet with stickers for adventure sites and gravestones, transforming the game map to a living, permanent record of your adventures.