Well, like yesterday, today can be seen as one of several days. It can be Tuesday, because it’s the 2nd day of the work week. It can be Wednesday, as it’s the middle of the work week. or it can be Thursday, because it’s the penultimate day of the work week. Yes, I do think about this stuff too often. Why do you ask?
Anyway, seeing as the calendar says it’s Tuesday, that means we need to get you some podcasts.
Today we have: Game Classy 127: Black Friday Shoppin’, RDTN Episode 106: Great Western Trail, A Feast for Odin, and a conversation with FunAgain about Essen, Guild Ball Tonight Episode 49: Next Stop Steamcon, Gamers Lounge Ep 131: Organizing and Preparing, Blue Peg, Pink Peg Episode 86: Terraforming Mars and Game Therapy, and Meeples & Miniatures Episode 184: Pickett’s Charge.
Joe and Steve talk about the new Tzeentch-y models from GW, a LOT of RPG talk and Steve has a special announcement.
Episode 106 was a Beast of Burden for us, but it was a labor of love. We have played two of the newest games that are out now, A Feast for Odin from Z-man Games and Great Western Trail from Stronghold Games. We do not go into a full review of both the games, but we use our 5 minute initiative format wear we touch on each game at a high level and discuss our Pros and Cons. In the outro, we do go back and revisit, but it is a discussion on which we liked better and why that was the case. Don’t get us wrong, both games are really good, solid games and aside from what we think, you need to do yourself a favor and try both.
– Steamcon Soon [5:05] WMW Report (with Jason Tate) [19:48] WMW Draft Event (with Zach Stein) [28:49] Twitter Qs:
– Kickoff vs. Morticians? (SithKhan) [42:40] – Adapting to redesigned players? (Carstein) [48:00] – Giving away plans? (Lee Parry) [50:01] – New Union selection? (LD) [53:48] – UM affecting team selection? (Lon Sims) [56:58] – Most British thing at Steamcon? (Myk Myers) [1:00:53]
Episode 131 is here with the traditional Lounge Talk. Bill and Josh gab on about what they’ve been playing lately and generally catch up from the last couple weeks.
Segment one jumps in with a chat about Organizers. We discuss the use of board game organizers, some companies to get those organizers from, and how they compare with Mini-wargaming organizers.
Then, surprising for such a short episode, we have a second segment. Josh and Bill dig into some ideas around how Bill should prep for the Guild Ball world championship. Some of the advice is complete tripe, while others are not too bad at all.
During this week’s episode:
1) The Pegs discuss recent news and game plays including Great Western Trail, The Oracle of Delphi, Legendary Inventors, and more;
2) Review the hand management game from Stronghold Games, Terraforming Mars; and
3) Talk about the role that board games can (or cannot) play in improving mood and emotional well being.
In this show, hosts Neil Shuck, Mike Hobbs, Mike Whitaker and Dave Luff talk to Dave Brown about his new Amercan Civil War rules – Pickett’s Charge.