Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAGA from Gripping Beast

SAGA from Gripping Beast

To say that I'm excited for this game is an understatement. I'm doing the Vikings, and between the other members of my game group, we have all the starting factions covered. Much mead will be drunk around the game tables soon!

Anyone else excited about this? Which factions will you hope to raid or defend with?

We've been playing this at our club. There's three of us picked it up. Two Anglo Danes and a Viking - it is a fantastic game.

The simplicity of the mechanics coupled with the strategy surrounding the use of the battleboard make it a fantastic game.

I'm interested to see the rules.

My FLGS just received word that the order is on its way. I'll have more to say on this game in the next month while I furiously work on my warband.

FLGS? I thought you worked there?
    Zac Belado
    Marketing and promotions

Urban Mammoth

"Friendly's" a relative term. Personally, I find game shop clerks who throw boardgames at you when you walk in the door to have the best intentions in mind.

I would love to do SAGA - but 1. The Gripping Beast site is HORRIBLE. 2. They are ALWAYS out of the bloody dice!

It's true; their dice availability has been lack-luster. However, I urge you to give the game a shot (perhaps get blank dice, and scrawl in the symbols?). Historical games have only recently begun to appeal to me, and this game is one that's weakening the walls of my historical aversion.

Not a huge fan of historicals by any means, but a few have spoken to me. SAGA's one that seems quite fun...even though it's a historical. Waiting for my copy and have dice on preorder. You don't NEED the dice, just replicate them with a 1-6 on the battle board and you're golden.

That said, it's a shame for what seems to be a popular game they have so much trouble with managing their stock levels.

Saga is a fun game. I've just bought the supplement, having enjoyed several games as Anglo-Danes. I'm looking forward to tweaking my army to take advantage of the new Anglo-Saxon battleboard..

I'm a bit of a sad dice nerd, and got over my frustration at the lack of saga dice by printing off the symbols from the Studio Tomahawk forum (http://studiotomahawk.freeforums.org...moury-f22.html) and sticking them onto ordinary white 11mm dice with lashings of PVA. It's not perfect, but saves the little bit of hassle that is involved in using numerical dice, and looks pretty good, even if I say so myself!!

Gripping Beast are only a tiny company (pretty much a one-man band), and really don't have the capital to invest in the large holdings of stock that would be needed to keep the tap running. If they did overstock then it could sink them, as they would end up with money tied up in unsold product instead of having it available to invest in new products (or pay the wages). So it makes absolute business sense to take the lost sales on the chin, and only order in as much stock as they know 100% they can sell. Given the difficulty in predicting demand in this industry, I think that on balance putting up with stock-outs is the lesser of the two evils!

Having said that I check back on the GB website regularly for dice coming back in stock!