Thread: new to table tops

new to table tops

im looking to get started playing table top games and i need to know what games are good for beginners. I hope to find some that my 10 year old can play with me, and start with a game that comes with everything needed to get started i would like to start with one that comes with a board pype map and some minitures any sugestions would help thanks

Look into Dust Tactics by fantasy flight games. By all accounts it is a decent boardgame that can then be expanded to a full on miniatures board game with the Dust Warfare rulebook. The Dust Tactics revised core box set comes with two playable armies, and has the board type map you are looking for.

Otherwise, look at Mantic's "Kings of War" starter box sets. Great value miniatures, and rules a 10 year old can probably handle.

I have enjoyed Okko: Era of Asagiri as an affordable, introductory tabletop skirmish game with everything you need contained in one box. Gameplay is uncomplicated with simple but innovative mechanics that still leave a lot of room for tactical maneuvering. It is played in under an hour on several board sections with high quality card cutouts for miniatures and includes several scenarios. You can find it online for less than $30. The artwork ought to appeal to kids familiar with Nickelodeon's Avatar series -- although there is at least one fairly gruesome character, the penanggalan, which is a head trailing some guts (but still more kid friendly than your average Warhammer army).

My nephews really enjoyed Pirates of the Spanish Main, which I believe WizKids has relaunched this year. It is a fun ship versus ship tabletop game with a collectable aspect similar to Magic or Pokemon. It costs about $20 to get started playing.

I recommend these sort of games for getting started as an affordable way to gauge your child's interest prior to spending $100+ on a game like the aforementioned Dust Tactics. Pirates is the sort of game that you can enjoy playing, while your child could play independently with his/her friends.

In the $100 range, I highly recommend Super Dungeon Explore by Soda Pop Miniatures. Everything you need in one box, including a whole bunch of insanely cute anime style figures with fun 16-bit Nintendo inspired game play. The same company is also doing a kickstarter for a game called Relic Knight, which is more of a tabletop wargame with anime style models. On the Lamb Games also does a miniature wargame called Brushfire, which features fighting anthropomorphic animals if your child is a fan of things like Redwall. I haven't played these last two though.

You could buy up the confrontation or Alkemy starter from Miniature Market for $18 as a cheap investment into tabletop games. Neither game is produced anymore, but the quality is good.

You can go for Song of Blade and Heroes from Ganesha Games : http://songofblades.blogspot.ca/ . It's a generic Fantasy setting game with which you can pick up any fantasy miniature you like to play with (i-e D&D mini single at low price or Pathfinder Battles minis if you don't want to invest in painting yet).
    MERCS may be another interesting simple game with a near future setting : http://www.mercsminis.com/ but it might be better suited for a 12 years old kid (like Alkemy and Confrontation Age of Ragnarok - not to be confused with Confrontation 2-3 or the incoming Phoenix edition which are more for hardcore gamers).
    I'd second Okko as a good and cheap introductory game. The Game is no longer published and you can find it and its expansions at very low price making it a cheap complete offer.
    Same for Dust Tactics and even Dust Warfare.
    Star Wars Miniature (collectable miniature game from Wizards of the Coast) is also a good introductory miniature game and you can have tons of minis for cheap since the game is no longer published too (see Miniature Market for example).

Oups! Oh wait! Alkemy is still produced by Studio 38

. . . which is in France. That may be an obstacle for someone new to tabletop gaming. Alkemy doesn't come up in the Alliance catalog, so I expect that distribution is spotty stateside.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfinger View Post
    . . . which is in France. That may be an obstacle for someone new to tabletop gaming. Alkemy doesn't come up in the Alliance catalog, so I expect that distribution is spotty stateside.
    You can find Alkemy figures at Miniature Market for example (including latest releases).
    Meeplemart (Canada) has them too

I agree though that the main issue may be to find opponents or player willing to give a try to a niche game (even if it's an excellent one).

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfinger View Post
    On the Lamb Games also does a miniature wargame called Brushfire, which features fighting anthropomorphic animals if your child is a fan of things like Redwall.
    Thanks for the mention.

If you are interested in trying Brushfire, we had the quickstart rules along with paperminis of two of our starter sets up for free on WargameVault. The full PDF rulebook is only $1 as well.
    -Emily Fontana
    On The Lamb Games
    http://www.on-the-lamb.com