like Arabian daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaays!
Ok, now that I’ve got that song stuck in your head, you should go check out Capharnaum, a new Arabian Nights-themed RPG that’s up on Kickstarter. It’s by Mindjammer Press, the same folks behind Mindjammer (as one would expect). But, instead of the stars, its the sands that you’ll be exploring for all manner of adventure and excitement.
About the campaign:
Mindjammer Press Ltd, which ran a highly successful Kickstarter for the transhuman Fate-powered science-fiction RPG “Mindjammer” back in late 2015, is back – this time with a Kickstarter for an exciting and action-packed fantasy RPG with a difference. “Capharnaum – The Tales of the Dragon-Marked” is a game of zero-to-hero characters who’ve been marked for a mystical destiny by gods and dragons, and find themselves in a fantasy Mediterranean world of Middle-Eastern cultures, ancient world city-states, crusading Westerners, magical dragon riders, and more, on adventures which will change the world!
Originally a French RPG, “Capharnaum” has been translated into English by the team of José Luis Porfirio (Qin, Kuro, First Contact: Xcorps) and Sarah Newton (Qin, Yggdrasil, also manager of Mindjammer Press and author of Mindjammer, Monsters & Magic, Achtung! Cthulhu, The Chronicles of Future Earth, Legends of Anglerre), who is also the game’s editor and producer, and marks a landmark in Middle-Eastern-themed gaming: a huge new world, an exciting and flexible system, and a solidly-supported line of supplements. Capharnaum is unique for decentering fantasy from its usual “fantasy Europe” vibe, and taking it into a fantastic version of the Arabian peninsula, with spectacular and deep cultures, and huge scope for intrigue, conflict, and adventure. Dragon-Marked adventurers transcend petty national conflicts; they’re discovering their own destinies, creating their own agendas, making a difference in a turbulent and magical world.
The Capharnaum core book contains everything you need to play, including:
– gorgeous artwork and beautiful cartography
– a bestiary of exotic foes and monsters inspired by Middle Eastern legends
– an improvisational magic system – the “Tarmel Haja” or “divine combinations”
– background for four playable cultures: the Saabi and Shiradim or the Jazirat (fantasy Arabian) peninsula; the ancient world Agalanthians (Romano-Graeco-Atlanteans!); and the Western crusaders of Aragon, Occidentia, and Orkadia – hidalgos, knights, and viking warriors.
– a roll-and-keep dice system with genre-specific features – Dragon Dice, lighting up constellations, and “swaggering”.
– paths, schools, and secret cults and societies for your character to follow on his road to greatness
– a deep history thousands of years old
– everything you need for that fantasy Mediterranean Arabian Nights feel!
A 44-page quickstart, “The Tears of Ampharool”, is already available for free download at the Capharnaum Kickstarter
The campaign’s 3/4 of the way to their goal with still 18 days left to go.